Slide 1

Slide 1

Slide 2

Slide 2

Slide 3

Slide 3

Slide 4

Slide 4

Slide 5

Slide 5

Rajshahi

  

 

Rajshahi, which is both a district and a divisional town, was flourished, in the seventeenth century. The district head quarters were transferred to Rajshahi Town from Natore in 1825. Its ancient name was Rampur Boalia. The tomb of Hazrat Shah Makhdum (established in 1634) is located at Dargahpara of the town. 

Many European traders were attracted to this town because of its being a centre of silk production and location by the side of the river Padma; subsequently the Dutch, the French and the English east india company established business houses in the town in phases. The Silk Factory Building established by the Dutch is now known as Barakuthi. Later the East India Company purchased the Kuthibhaban from the Dutch The head quarters of the European Voluntary Regiment was established in the Barakuthi during the sepoy revolt in 1857. At the end of the nineteenth century the zamindar of Medinipur purchased the building from the British. After 1947 it was being used as the godown of the civil supply department. When the Rajshahi University was established in 1953, the Barakuthibhaban was turned into the residence of the Vice Chancellor with other office establishments.There are 14 graves of European persons in a cemetery in front of the Kuthibhaban. A flood protection embankment was established in 1855 to save the town. Shahib Bazar is the main business centre of the town.

 

Historical events Rajshahi district was a part of Pundruvardhana of the ancient Vanga. The capital of Vijoy Sen was located 9 miles on the west of Rajshahi town. indigo resistance movement spread over Rajshahi during 1859-60. Seven communist activists were killed at the Khapra ward of Rajshahi Jail when police fired indiscriminately on 24 April 1950. During the mass upsurge in 1969 Dr. Shamsuzzoha of Rajshahi University was killed.

 

Population: 2262483; male 51.20%, female 48.807%; Muslim 93%; Hindu 5%, Christian 1.5% and others 0.5%; ethnic nationals: Santal 2.34% of the total population; they have their own language.

 

Metropolitan Area: 6,46,716 (2001); Male 3,38,997 and Female 3,07,719

City Population: 383655; male 52.91%, female 47.09%. Density of population is 3968 per sq km (Population Census 2001, Preliminary Report).

 

Thanas: boalia, rajpara, matihar, shah mokhdum.

 

Wards: 93

 

Mosques : 3727; Mandirs: 164; Churches: 38Isa-e Church 01.

 

 

 
  ©Isa-e Church Bangladesh