Slide 1

Slide 1

Slide 2

Slide 2

Slide 3

Slide 3

Slide 4

Slide 4

Slide 5

Slide 5

Kustia

 

Kushtia

 

Kushtia Municipality was established in 1969. Hamilton's Gazetteer has the mention of Kushtia (Kustee) town and local people call the town as Kushte. Kushtia is not an ancient town. It developed as a river port during the reign of Emperor Shahjahan. The East India Company made intensive use of the port but the growth of the town owes much to the settlement by the indigo planters and traders. The town was connected with Calcutta by rail in 1860; since then it experienced quick development and became a good location for mills and factories including those like the Renwick and Company (1904), Jagneshwar Engineering Works (1896) and the Mohini Mills (1919). The town got a new momentum for development with the establishment of the headquarters of the Ganges-Kobadak Project and a number of government offices in 1954.

 

Historical events indigo resistance movement spread in Bengal in 1860 and Shalghar Madhua organised the largest movement in the Kushtia district. Inspired by the movement, all indigo farmers in the Kushtia area refused to pay government taxes. The British government sent an army platoon under the command of GG Morrison, to investigate into the matter. Farmers could successfully negotiate with him, committed to start paying taxes provided the indigo planters would stop torturing them and had sent the army back.

Archeological relics and monuments Kuthibari of Rabindranath Tagore at Shilaidaha, tomb of Lalon Shah.Shahi Mosque (Mughal period), house of Mir Mosharraf Hossain at Lahinipara,

Population: 1713224; male 50.86% and female 49.14%; Muslim 95.72%, Hindu 4.22% and others 0.06%.

City Population: 86066; male 51.34%, female 48.66%; density of population is 6466 per sq km.

Thanas: kushtia sadar, kumarkhali, daulatpur, mirpur, bheramara and khoksa.

Wards: 12

Religious Place :

Mosque 1582, temple 34, Church 2 ;Isa-e Church 01.

 
  ©Isa-e Church Bangladesh