Slide 1

Slide 1

Slide 2

Slide 2

Slide 3

Slide 3

Slide 4

Slide 4

Slide 5

Slide 5

Lalmonirhat

 Lalmonirhat

Etymology

At the end of 19th century the workers of the Bengal Duras Railway (BDR) while digging the mud for the installation of rail line, found a red color stone and since then, the place was recognized as Lalmoni. Whereas some legendary opinions that the railway which acquire the land owned by a lady named Lalmoni for which people kept the place after her name as the recognition of her contribution of land for the rail line. Others are of the opinion that in 1783 a woman named Lalmoni along with peasant leader, Nuruldin fought against the English soldiers and land lords for the cause to establish the interest of general peasants and laid down her life against the atrocity of the rulers. The place was named as the Lalmoni as the sign of respect. The word “hat” became adhered to her name in the course of time.

Geography

Lalmonirhat District with an area of 1241.46 km, is bounded by Koch Bihar and Jalpaiguri districts of West Bengal on the north, Rangpur District on the south, Kurigram District and Koch Bihar district of West Bengal on the east, Nilphamari and Rangpur districts on the west. The district is striped shape. Main rivers 7, most noted of which are Tista, Dharla and Saniajan. The river Saniajan originating from the Himalaya has strong current. Sarnamati, Trimohoni, Ratnai and Sati rivers are almost silted.


Language

Most people are Rangpuri-speaking here. But many people are are Bengali.


Religious Place :

The district of Lalmonirhat consists Mosques 3038 ,  Temples 512,  Buddhist temples 43 ;  Churches 12,  Jamatkhana 01.

 

 
  ©Isa-e Church Bangladesh